Goaltimate League 2011
4 East side teams in one division and 4 West side teams in the other division. You play only the teams in your own division in the regular season, and everyone plays in the tournament on Sunday, May 15th at a field location yet to be determined.
Three week regular season on consecutive Sundays. April 24, May 1 and May 8. The default time for games is noon. But you can move the times of games if you want, and depending on the availability of the Goaltimate kits. On the West side, we know Spike has a kit, and Keegan I believe has a kit. On the East side, AJ has one, and Hale’s going to come up and let me borrow his.
There are four KEY RULES to know when forming teams.
1) East Side teams can only have players who live on the East Side of Los Angeles by April 24th. And West Side teams can only have players (get ready, this is gonna blow your mind) who live on the West Side of Los Angeles by April 24th. Click here for the official Goaltimate East/West dividing line.
1A) There’s one caveat to rule 1. You can have one out-of-division player on your team.
2) There is a cap of 9 players allowed per team.
3) There must be at least one female on the field at all times. That’s the only female rule there is.
4) There will be a PARITY RULE for this league. This is a very important, and kind of radical, rule intended to limit the stacking of teams. I have assembled this list of 40 players who come mainly from a goaltimate pick-up list over the last few months. Your team may contain no more than 5 players from this list. Please note, this is NOT AT ALL a list of who I think are the 40 best players in L.A. Not at all. Let me say that one more time to be clear. Not at all.
Goaltimate is like halfcourt basketball with a frisbee. On one end of the field, is a PVC hoop measuring 18 feet across and 11 feet high. On the other end, is a clear line – where the disc must travel to everytime a change of possession happens. Throw in the 10 key differences listed below – and BAM – you’ve got goalty fever.
The 10 Easy Rules of Goaltimate:
- Teams play 4 v 4, with hockey style subbing (An incoming player must tag hands of a player coming off)
- Stall count of 5 and can be counted by any person on the field
- 1 point is awarded for a completed pass that travels through the hoop and is caught in the end zone by your teammate, 2 points are awarded if the disc is throw from behind the 2 point line.
- Whenever a turnover happens, the possession changes, and the new offensive team must ‘clear’ the disc by taking it past the clear line, and can then attack the goal
- “Make it take it” rules apply, so if you score – your team must clear the disc and then you can attack again
- The disc can only go through the hoop in 1 direction, if you throw it through backwards (from behind the hoop, towards the clear line) – it’s a turnover
- Setting Static picks is legal (think basketball)
- Goaltending is not allowed. You must be guarding a person. If that person is hanging out in the goal – then you can ‘tend all you want.
- Games are played to 5 (hard capped). Teams play a best of 5 game series to determine the outcome of a match. Each team has 3 time outs per match. Time outs last 2 minutes. There is an ‘officials timeout’ after a team scores 5, with that team retaining possession at the start of the next game. At the start of any game, the disc is checked in behind the clear line.
- Reaching thru the goal to throw a score is considered a travel. However – catching a goal, with both feet in the endzone, is a score, no matter if you pull the disc through or not. If the disc hits the goal on it’s way through, it is not a score, but possession is maintained.
For the purposes of this league, as mentioned in rule 9, each weekend you play a MATCH, which is a best of 5 GAMES. So first to 5 points wins a game. First to win 3 games wins the match.
Your team is awarded a League Point for every game you win. So, for example, if Team A beats Team B 3 games to 1, Team A is rewarded 3 League Points, and Team B is rewarded 1 League Point. If you shut out a team 3 games to nothing, you get an additional 4th League Point.
For all the rules of the Los Angeles 2011 Goaltimate league, CLICK HERE.